There are more and more reasons to use a reusable shopping bag when you go out and hit the shops. And with the government recently introducing a law that means most shops are obliged to charge you for every plastic carrier bag that you use, many of us are waking up to the idea that investing in a reusable shopping bag really is a great idea. So to help you make up your mind we’ve compiled a list of reasons to help to convince the unconverted out there.
- Plastic carrier bags can take between 15 and 1,000 years to fully break down, depending on environmental conditions.
- Unlike other material plastic carrier bags don’t actually biodegrade, through the process of photo degradation, light causes the plastic to degrade into small toxic particles.
- It is estimated that over 1,000,000 birds, 100,000 turtles and countless other sea animals die each year as a result of ingesting plastic. This is often caused by the animals confusing floating plastic bags as jellyfish or plankton. Once ingested the plastic blocks their digestive tract causing them to starve, or else they die as a result of becoming tangled in plastic.
- It is estimated that the average person uses and discards up to 350 plastic bags per year.
- Due to their light weight plastic bags that are consigned to landfill don’t always stay there, they often fly away in the wind and end up as litter that is unsightly and costly to clear.
- Plastic bags are made from petroleum products and natural gas, both of which are non-renewable resources.
- The average reusable bag has a lifespan equivalent to almost 700 disposable plastic bags.
- If one person used only reusable bags throughout their lifetime, on average that would remove over 22,000 plastic bags from the environment!
So reusable bags certainly seem like a good idea. Not only are they significantly better for the environment, they are much more likely to alleviate the risk of your shopping exploding all over the floor when the flimsy plastic carrier bag holding it rips! And what’s more reusable bags are both relatively inexpensive and come in a wide range of styles, so there’s sure to be the bag out there for you.
Why not treat yourself to our brand new Glorious Lavender Shopper? Made from 100% Fairtrade cotton and designed exclusively for us in Jersey by MollyMac, this handy bag is strong enough to carry all of your last minute Christmas shopping and leave you looking fantastic whilst doing so!