Anxiety is extremely common and everyone will experience feelings of anxiety from time to time. However, for some it occurs on a regular basis with Generalised Anxiety Disorder being one of the most common mental health illnesses in the UK.
When looking for a treatment, many people turn to essential oils as they have been proven an effective natural treatment for anxiety. Lavender oil sits at the top of the list of these essential oils with its relaxing and calming benefits, bringing feelings of peace and reducing irritability. The scent of lavender oil can also decrease tension, restlessness, and panic attacks, and help you get a better night’s sleep.
How can an essential oil help with anxiety?
It’s all about aromatherapy which means you either inhale the scent or apply it to your body. Our bodies naturally feel better when we take in a deep breath of fresh air, which is similar to aromatherapy and inhaling natural scents to stimulate your senses in a positive way.
So, you need some proof?
The Handbook of Essential Oils: Science, Technology, and Applications shares a number of different trials that have looked into the theory that essential oils are an effective natural treatment for anxiety. According to the evidence in these reports, the inhalation of lavender essential oil has indicated a reduction in anxiety and stress. One study by the United States National Library of Medicine also linked orally ingested lavender oil capsules with a reduced heart rate during periods of anxiety.
Another study from Phytomedicine stated that results suggested lavender had comparable effects on anxiety as the drug lorazepam. Lavender also comes with the extra benefits of helping with sleep, reducing stress, and, of course, it’s totally natural.
How do I use lavender essential oil for anxiety?
- Lavender oil can be an instant relief and give an immediate calming effect when inhaled.
- Being able to easily inhale the essential oil makes anxiety more manageable whether you’re at work, home or travelling.
- Lavender oil can be rubbed onto the temples or wrists to help with relaxation, plus it’s something you can do whilst at work or in public so you’re in control of your anxiety.
- It’s easy to fill up a rollerball to keep it on you at all times.
- Lavender essential oil can be used in a diffuser each day for 10mins – 1 hours to keep you mind relaxed and calm.
- Mix around 5-10 drops of the essential oil into your bath water to inhale as you have a relaxing soak.
- Put a drop of the oil onto your palm and rub it on your pillow or alternatively, put some in a spray bottle. This will help you unwind, reduce feelings of anxiety and sleep deeply.
We could go on and on about the benefits of lavender essential oil. If you’re looking for a natural treatment to help manage your anxiety, the proof is in the bottle. Take a look at our range of essential oils or get in touch if you would like any more information about Jersey Lavender or essential oils.